
Our little first grader!

Kaycee is teaching Haylee what she learned at school.

I'm not sure who she is....Cinderella? Martha Washington? Hmmmm

Kaycee's first day at Grace Harbor Learning was great! For those of you who don't know, we enrolled her in a one day a week program. In Texas, they call it an "umbrella program." Basically, home schooled kids can enroll in a Christian School one day a week and get a few extra curricular subjects. Kaycee will be taking Music, Art, PE, Spanish, Public Speaking and Character Building. The Christian School here, Summit Christian Academy, held this program for 16 years. Just last year, they decided they were not able to have this program due to lack of space. A group of teachers decided they didn't want to lose this program all together, so they looked for an alternative location. Well....that location just HAPPENS to be only a few blocks away from our house! YEAH!! We can walk to and from school.
Anyway, she LOVED her first day. She goes all day Wednesday from 9-2:30.
We are so thankful that God led us to this program. A few of the kids in our home school group are in this group as well.
On a side note, we've joined a great Christian home school group. The group we were in last year was just not a good fit for us. Everyone was very nice, but something just didn't click. The group we're in now is PERFECT. Lots of kids Kaycee and Haylee's ages and the parents are all Andy's and my age.
This homeschooling thing is hard work...let me tell you that! Allow me to step up on my soap box for a few minutes. We, as Americans, have it good. We have so many choices in our lives. We go to buy a bar of soap and we have 30 different kinds to choose from. We have 70 different shades of red nail polish to choose from. It can't just be RED. We have cherry red, dark red, rose red, apple red, flame red, red pearl, garnet red,.....you get my point. We are lucky, despite what people might think. Having choices might make us happy, but sometimes I think we have too many choices. So many, in fact, that we become "over saturated" and end up making choices based on desperation or because we've become so mentally exhausted that we just don't care.Ok....I will step down.
The home school curriculum book that arrived in our mailbox a few weeks ago was 2 1/2 inches thick....biggger than the JC Penny catalog. I sat and stared at it for a few minutes before I even attempted to touch it. Now, keep in mind....this in only ONE catalog, from ONE distributor. There are lots and lots of others out there that I didn't subscibe to (thank goodness). I opened it up and started with Phonics. Sounds simple enough, right? Well, after turning page after page after page of just phonics curriculum, I gave up and went to math. Not much better, in fact there were MORE pages there. Each one looks GREAT. I read about it and think "I like this. This would be a good fit for Kaycee. Good price. Great. Let's order." Until my eyes roam a few inches down the page to the next one. "Hmmm...this looks good too. I wonder if this is better than the other one. This has an even better price. Ok. Maybe we'll try this one." And on and on an on this process goes until I just slam the book shut and give up for the night. TOOOOOOO MANNNNNNYYYYYY CHHOOOOICCCEEESSSSS!
FYI...we did end up narrowing it down and our stuff should arrive in a few days. Hope we made the RIGHT CHOICE!
No comments:
Post a Comment